Wednesday, March 7, 2018

You Move Me Butterfly Card

Happy Wednesday!

I'm off to the coffee shop shortly, to meet my friend (since Jr. High!) and downline gal-pal Vicki for coffee.  We're heading to Sherwood Park to a place called Common Ground Community Cafe - a not-for profit coffee shop!  We are heading there to check out the lay-of-the-land for an upcoming class.  Vicki and I volunteer for the Robin Hood Association which is anon-profit organization that is committed to excellence in assisting individuals with disabilities to achieve their personal best and experience a quality lifestyle.  Once a month we go an help some FABULOUS ladies learn how to make cards.  Next month we are taking the class on the road, and creating our projects at the Common Ground Cafe.  I'm looking forward to it! ... but we DO need to check out the space to wrap our heads around how we're going to run the class.
So that's what I'M up to this morning!  Hope YOU'RE doing something fun too!
Today I'm sharing another card we made at my Stamp-a-Stack last week.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE this card!  It is SOOO versatile!!  You really can add almost any sentiment you like.  Check it out ...
I got the inspiration for the card from Susan Campfield.  When I saw this card I knew I HAD to CASE it!
The FIRST questions I had was "where the heck is that beautiful butterfly from???!!!" ... and I thoroughly expected the answer to be that it was a non-Stampin' Up! product.  I was DELIGHTED to find out not only that it WAS a Stampin' Up! product ... and that it was a CURRENT product ... but that I HAD this item in my stash ... I just didn't know it!!!  (yes, likely a sign of a problem *lol*).

The butterfly is from the You Move Me Bundle that is in the 2018-2018 Annual Catalogue.   The bundle is CAD $63.75.  The photopolymer set is $32 and the Thinlit dies are $39


See the two butterfly thinlits? Those are what are used to make the stunning butterfly.  Who knew!!!

Whilst I HAVE used the bundle once or twice, I used the pieces that were the main purpose of this bundle - a card that makes it look like the butterfly or hummingbird are fluttering by.  Check out the video here to check that out!

Now - the only tricky part to making the butterfly on this card ...
... is that you need to use both thinlits at the same time.  I do wish I had taken a picture while I was doing it (or while I was doing the 26 I cut for the stamp-a-stack!).  Essentially, you need to cut out the colored piece (yellow) using the solid outline die and then you need to cut out the black piece that you place over top of the yellow piece (with me so far?).  In order to cut out the BLACK piece, you need to use both the large outline die And the smaller detailed die together when you run the black crd stock through the Big Shot.  It was a little tricky and time consuming to line up the two dies together and no have the magnets move them when they ran through the machine.  The trick to THAT is using new, or flat, cutting pads.

another tip is to cover the back of your black card stock with a Multipurpose Adhesive sheet so that, once the butterfly is run through the machine, the black detailed piece is now a sticker and can easily, mess-free, be attached to the yellow piece.  I'm sorry of that's totally confusing.  You'll understand it if/when you go to cut one out and you do it wrong *lol* .  That's how I learned how to do it! lol.

The green piece is Old Olive (also looks nice in Pear Pizzazz) and it was run through the Big Shot using the Layered Leaves Dynamic Embossing Folder ($11.75 CDN)
Both that strip and the Basic Black strip were punched with the Triple Banner Punch to get the dovetail edge.

Of course ANY sentiments works well with this card - my favorite retired set EVER is the Sincere Salutations set.  I like it so much I have two of them *lol*.  I DO use them a LOT at my Stamp-a-stack events so yes, two sets ARE necessary!

I added a single rhinestone to the centre of the butterfly or some bling, texture and interest.  Done!

I hope you like it ... and start to look at stamp sets and framelits in ways other than their main intention.  Who KNOWS what you are missing!!!

OK - off I go for my coffee date.  Hope you have a stampy day!


Tam

No comments:

Post a Comment