Saturday, July 1, 2017

Grade 6 Farewell

Happy Canada Day!!
Now that the skies have opened and it's pouring rain I thought I'd take the opportunity to catch up on a few posts from the chaos and fun from this week.

My 11 year old, Alicia, had her Grade 6 Farewell Wednesday morning.  NATURALLY I decided at 8:40 pm Tuesday NIGHT to make 60 farewell treats for the "graduating" class.  Lucky for me it took less then an hour to crack off all 60.  Quick and easy was the name of the game for THIS treat ...
Here's my Baby Girl all ready for the ceremony ...
I needed a card!  I had PLANNED to make her one from scratch ... but ... well ... ummm ... ya.  At 6:00 pm Wednesday night I went to my card stash and pulled out this one instead.  It really was a FABULOUS card ... with colors she loves .. and a sentiment that totally worked.  Why reinvent the wheel, right?
I HAD been hanging on to that card for a very special person and a very special occasion/reason.  It really was perfect for Alicia.  Think I might have to make a few more - kinda love it!   I posted about it in October 2014 (!!!).  Check out my original post HERE

I also needed some teacher gifts!  I pulled these two out of my stash for her teachers ...
... and I had my friend Darlene make me the personalized clip boards using her silhouette machine.  I have had her make me these for the last 3 years.  The teachers LOVE them!
Next up ... teacher treats from ALICIA and her friend, Danica.  These two LOVE to bake and decorate cakes.  They had a plan to make a 3-tiered cake -one tier for each of their 3 teachers.  Look what they did ...
Isn't that FANTASTIC???  Alicia NAILED the frosting on the edges.  Danica nailed the grass on top ... and that watermelon!  That is actually a real watermelon rind filled with jello!  they cut the top off a watermelon, scooped it out and put "finger jello" inside to set.  Finger jello is just regular jello packets but with about 1/3-1/2 the amount of water called for ... and only boiling water (no cold water).  It set beautifully and then, two days later, they just sliced it like a regular watermelon!  The teacher (and kids) loved it.  Pretty proud of the girls and their efforts.  I see a cake decorating class at Michaels in their futures!

Last up is my favorite gift for My Girl.  Rebecca has one as well ...

For those of you who haven't stumbled across this idea on Pinterest already, it's the Dr Seuss book that has been signed by all of the teachers, coaches, leaders, instructors that Alicia has had during her school life.  All of them (well ... think I forgot her Brownie Leader 3 years ago ... but other than that! ...)

I saw this idea back when Rebecca was in Grade one .. so 7 years ago.  I LOVED it!  A dad had done this for his daughter and gave it to her at her Grade 12 graduation.  Now I just didn't have it in me to carry this on for another 6 years so I only did it up until Grade 6 and now the girls can carry it on moving forward.  Both girls LOVE their books!  Every June Rebecca takes it to school to be signed and she reads and re-reads all of the messages.  It makes her smile and really does give her a shot of self confidence.  She has said to me "you are my mom - you HAVE to say I'm smart, kind, pretty ... all that stuff ... but the teachers didn't have to say it ... but they did".  It means so much more coming from others.  When Alicia got hers she got all teary eyed and read it over and over before bed.  It is the best memory / keepsake EVER!  I know a few other moms at school are doing the same thing but they are planning to carry on until Grade 12.  Wow. That's a huge commitment!  I'm happy to pass the torch on this one.

So that's just SOME of what has been going on this week.  Pop in again soon to see a few other projects I needed to whip up in a hurry.

It has stopped raining so hopefully the fireworks will still be a go tonight.  Whatever you get up to, have a stampy night!


Tam

No comments:

Post a Comment