Thursday, January 14, 2016

Going Global … and cookies!

Happy Thursday!

Hmmm.  Funny.  I have LOTS of projects to share but just haven't made the time to do it yet!  The days have just been flitting away while I do a whole lot of little "homey"things.  Been baking a lot … which is weird 'cause I kind hate baking.  Well … not so much that I hate the baking part .. but it makes a lot of mess (I am THE messiest gal in the kitchen - seriously - I'm a disaster!) … and worse than the mess … when I bake I just EAT it!  Take this morning, for example.  I seem to be alone in the house with a batch of fresh baked molasses cookies.  I'm not really sure why but 4 seemed like a completely reasonable number to eat back to back.  Five, of course, would be ridiculous … but four is absolutely acceptable ???!!!!  

What?  You need the recipe for a cookie that demands you eat four in one sitting??  Ok … here it is … my new favourite cookie EVER!

Molasses Crackle Cookies

Ingredients

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter flavor shortening
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
1/4 cup molasses
1 egg
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
Sanding sugar, for rolling

ADD CHECKED ITEMS TO GROCERY LIST

Directions

Special equipment: a 2-tablespoon cookie scoop

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the sugar, shortening and butter until light and fluffy. Add the molasses and egg, and mix to combine.

In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, cloves, ginger and salt. With the mixer set to 
low speed, add the dry ingredients to the sugar mixture, and mix until combined. Chill the dough for 1 hour.

Use a 2-tablespoon cookie scoop to portion the dough, and then roll the portions into balls. Then roll in the sanding sugar and place on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.


I DARE you to try to stop at one!

Aside from baking I've been cleaning, organizing and so on.  There has been a flurry of activity with delivery people lately.  Becca got a new bed, Craig got a new Man Cave couch, we had Shaw in to upgrade our modem … UPS, Fedex … phone calls, appointments, groceries ..

One thing I did yesterday made my day.  I made dinner for a friend who could use a little help.  Her husband was diagnosed with lymphoma cancer in early December.  They are the LOVELIEST daily you'll ever meet.  Two beautiful children - both i hockey.  Both parents work full time.  Their lives are very busy … and now this.  Well!  Nothing makes me happier than when women rally around women when the chips are down .. and that's what our community has done.  Naturally us women have a VERY hard time accepting help and my friend was no exception.  She pointed out that there was nothing wrong with HER - she was fine.  Ummm hmmm.  Ok Super Chic.  Not gunna fly.  With a little bullying we convinced her that it was ok to accept help - it's not a sign of weakness and we KNOW she CAN do everything but why should she HAVE to???  Take the help and spend the extra time and energy on herself and her husband!  She did.  She let me set up a link to help out.  It's called "Meal Train".  Google it and use it the next time you know of someone who could use some meals.  A new mom, an elderly parent who's alone, a friend whose husband has cancer ….

You simply set up an account (free), input their name and address, food preferences, allergies etc and what days they could use a hand.  It could be 3 meals a day, 7 days a week or, as in our case, one meal a week.  Then you share the link with friends.  They can then sign up to bring a meal on a date that works for them.  Everyone can see who is bringing what on what day so the recipient doesn't get 8 lasagnas in a row.  The other great thing about it is you indicate WHAT TIME you are bringing it - this way you can take a HOT meal - not a frozen one.  Often people take friends a frozen meal but then the recipient quickly runs out of freezer space …. and still has to plan to thaw it, heat it etc.  I LOVE this site!  Check it out!

I made them a pot of my Tortellini Soup, salad and bread.  I delivered it at 4:30 pm so they had it ready to et before their son's hockey game.  They were so grateful.  I was so happy to help.  As I told her, people WANT to help - it makes us feel useful to bring a meal when we can't do anything else.  And let's face it … I was making a batch of soup for MY family so it was SERIOUSLY no big deal to make double!  Win/win.  Women helping women,  Love.

Speaking of love … I DO have a card to share that could be used for Valentine's Day … or anniversary … or just because.  It's a great masculine card.  Check it out ...
It uses all new toys from the 2016 Occasions Catalogue.  The Going Global Stamp set, Going Places DSP and World Traveller embossing folder.  I also used the SAB limited time only paper PErfectly Artistic (only available until mid Feb!).  I used Very Vanilla, Early Espresso, Crumb cake papers and inks  The 2", Triple Banner and Full Heart punches, dimensionals and pearls.  It's a quick and easy card that isn't too foofy to give to a guy.  Love!

Right - gotta go get Leeshy from school then off to the orthodontist with Becca.  Such a glamorous life *lol*

What ever you get up to today I hope you have a stampy day :)


Tam

4 comments:

  1. Love your card and thank you for sharing your cookie recipe. Your soup looks good too! Would you share that recipe also?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure thing Karen! I sent you an email … I'll post it on my next post for you.
      Have a stampy night!

      Delete
  2. Love it Tamara! Congratulations! This project is one of my most popular pins this week and is being highlighted on my blog today. Thanks for sharing. Kylie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well how flattered am I? Thank you so much Kylie for commenting and showcasing my project on your blog. Congratulations on earning the Mediterranean trip! SUCH an achievement!!!

      Delete