Sunday, February 27, 2011

Diggin' the Embossing Folders

Yep - diggin the folders.

Anyone who knows me knows how much I love the SU Embossing Folders. 

For about a week now I've been wanting to use the lattice folder to CASE a card from the main catalogue (C.A.S.E. = Copy And Share Everything).  It's funny how I came across the idea; 

Like any self-respecting SU Demonstrator I'm proud to say I have the catalogue committed to memory within days of it hitting my doorstep.  Having said that there is occasion when we have to admit we don't always truly internalize every single item and/or stamp set.  You know what I'm talking about - you see a project and ask the creator "where is that paper/stamp set/ribbon from".  You gasp when they say "it's in the catalogue!" and then you hang your head in shame. 

This is along the same lines of what happened to me.  I was going through the back page of the Sale-a-brations catalogue trying to decide which free item I wanted to choose.  I came across the "Engraved Greetings" stamp set.  The images in the set didn't immediately spring to mind (shame on me) so I headed to the main catalogue (page 182) and instantly ordered it.  Looking at the card kit they picture on the same page I realized I have all the tools to make a very similar card (and I really liked their card).

Lucky for my readers I was awakened by a sneezing cat at 2:30 this morning.  By 3:30 am I decided to give up trying to get back to sleep and headed to the craft room to try my new layout idea.  Wa-low! (Alicia phrase)  20 minutes later I had a quick, simple design that makes the PERFECT "guy" card (yes, it has been Craig approved!) 
 Very Vanilla / Early Espresso / Soft Suede
 Whisper White / Not Quite Navy

Very Vanilla / Rose Red

"How'd I do that?", I hear you cry.  Well!  I took the lattice embossing folder and a wooden rectangle square frame that I bought at the "M" store.  You take your Multipurpose platform and under Tab 2 you need to place a "shim" made from the backing of any 12x12 dseigner series paper (it is a thin cardboard but is thicker than a piece of cardstock).  Flip the flatform to Tab 1.  Place your wooden frame down then your lattice folder (with the card stock inside) and then the top, clear cutting pad.  Run it through the Big Shot.  The centre rectangle won't be embossed - that's where you stamp your sentiment (with the aid of your handy dandy stamp-a-ma-jig).  You then take your finger daubers and ink the lattice impression.  The embossing is so close together that the ink only colors the raised part leaving the vanilla (or whisper white) background its original color.  I'm not crazy about the Rose Red card but LOOOOVE the Early Espresso one (I daubed with Soft Suede).  I'll be keeping a stash of these on hand for "guy" birthdays - I'll also add it to my next Stamp-a-Stack projects!


Now ... on to my next project ...

Remember a few days ago I posted my "Love, Love, Love It" card?  The vintage "Bliss" card?  Remember I said I thought I should expore this new "vintage" style a little more?  Well, at 4:30 am I came up with this little beauty.  Yep - I'm hooked on vintage!

I used the same technique for this card as on the ones above but used the Vintage Wallpaper folder and offset the rectangle so the stamped image would be to the left of centre.  I then flipped the cs over and used the debossed side (the raised part is now on the back).  I used vanilla cs for the base and layer and espresso for the accent.  The main image is stamped in espresso and I daubed with Sahara Sand.  I added a few splashes of ink using my Spritzer tool - a bit with espresso and a bit with sahara sand.  I used the Espresso 5/8" grosgrain ribbon - cutting the edge off it and fraying it.  I was THRILLED with the color of the frayed part - it was very close to the sahara color (aren't I clever?)  Added a vintage brad (this is a MUST have product in your stash of embellishments!) and there you have it!  Another vintage success :)

  Here is a close up of the frayed ribbon (it also shows the spritzer splashes better):
Love it?  I do!

OK - off to play some more (I love Sundays!)  Have a fun day :)


Tam

No comments:

Post a Comment